My cousin Mykal (mom's younger brother's oldest son) got married last weekend at Cave Junction, Oregon's very own
"Out 'n About" Treehouse resort. At this place, you can ride horses and ziplines, hang out in mother nature, and literally sleep in a treehouse. My cousin apparently knows the owner and got the place to do their wedding (his quote "They don't do weddings here") for (I think) free! And the wedding party got to stay in the treehouses. We were not actually part of the wedding party, but we did get to visit Mykal's sister Katryna's treehouse. She and her husband slept with their three kids (4, 2, 6 months) in the loft, and our other cousin Jordan slept on one of the bunk beds. The treehouse has a stall shower with running hot water, a fully functional toilet across from it, both covered by a thin curtain, and a very small sink with potable running water. It is not exactly roughing it there, though I don't think there is any additional heat due to the fact that a giant tree literally makes up the centerpoint of the treehouse.
You access these treehouses via hanging bridges, the likes of which Lucia loved but my mother was too nervous to try, so she did not see Katryna's treehouse interior. Apparently there are pullys to get your luggage and sleeping bags up to the treehouses, and some of them even have ziplines out the windows to get out!
Most of the guests camped out in the large grass field near the ziplines, but we only came for the day of the wedding and stayed in a nearby (old school) motel. At four months pregnant, I did not feel like camping, and from what Katryna said the music (live bluegrass band - again, friends of Mykal and his wife Laci) played until dawn, so we probably would not have gotten much sleep anyway.
The girls loved playing in the grass (even during the ceremony, Alex and I had to take turns keeping an eye on them and an ear on the proceedings), they were thrilled to pet the horses, Lucia loved the rope swings that abounded in the shady tree limbs, and we all enjoyed the food and a little of the dancing before we bailed for the night.
I have to say, I probably would not have chosen to go to this place on my own, but now that we've seen it I can see us making a trip sometime in the future to stay for a long weekend - it would be a real hoot for the kids when they're a bit older and can do the zip lines and ride horses (all things I think Lucia can do now, but we didn't have enough time before the ceremony to partake).
Here are some memorable photos of this wedding - none, unfortunately, of the bride and groom as I left the memory card for our camera in my computer (doh!) and we had to make due with Alex's android phone for our camera. Oops!
Here is the main area - the stage is right in front of a nice lobby with a real kitchen and little lounge:
Here is the camping area with the ziplines in the background:
Here is one treehouse:
A view from above:
Getting to Katryna's treehouse:
Inside the treehouse:
Walking back out:
Cute pic of Magdalena - not sure what she's doing, but I think Alex captured this one during the ceremony :-)
The girls both loved the horses who kept trying to nibble on our hands (which probably smelled like the delicious BBQ chicken that we chowed down on!):
Here's Lucia on a horse:
No pics of the actual rope swing, though there is a video on Alex's Photos page. Not sure if you can access it without permission, but here's a link just in case.
No comments:
Post a Comment