Lucia was probably less anxious about her first day of school than I was. She did great! She enjoyed playing with the kids - when I picked her up and asked what she did she said that she "colored, ate a snack, played outside, took a nap, went pee-pee on the potty, read books." She told Dada that she saw the apple next to the letter "a".
The teacher told me that she pooped on the potty, but Lucia said she did not (I think the Chinese teacher did not understand what I meant - some things are truly lost in translation, even though I was speaking English...!). She ate her mac and cheese and broccoli for lunch, as well as an apple and a little snack cracker thing made out of whole grains and legumes and laced with some deceptive chocolate. She napped for one hour. She managed to remove both her street shoes AND the classroom slippers that we brought for her, instigating a mini-search party when I picked her up as the teachers and I scoured the classroom for her shoes. In general, she had a great day, and is excited to go back tomorrow!
As for Magdalena and myself - we hit the Shama Play Group where there were no kids over the age of 18 months, came home and had lunch, M had a nice long snooze, and I went for a run when the ayi came. It was quite relaxing... and I too and excited for Lucia to go back tomorrow!
Below are some photos of our day.
Lucia trying to do the "peace" sign like all the Chinese people do, but not quite getting it right:
Showing off her new backpack!
Lucia and Dylan getting ready to go into the school:
Great classroom!
Lucia found a baby (and you can see several moms dropping kids off, as well as one teacher crouched near Lucia - there are three teachers this week, and one more coming next week - so four for about 20 kids):
Loving the paint area:
Loving the kitchen even more - she made me jaozi (dumplings)!
Unlike at least two kids, Lucia was not upset when I left - "Bye Mom!" she cheerfully admonished me when I snuck back to take one more photo!
At the Shama, here is Magdalena with Juliet, an Irish baby only 5 days younger than her:
My good friend Shelly and her baby Breanna - Bre is all over the place, it is hard for Shelly to even hold her and pose for a picture! She is just 8 days older than Magdalena:
Sisters Reunion upon returning home:
And an Eskimo Kiss!
Nice work! Lucia looks beyond happy and the preschool appears to have lots of fun things to do!
ReplyDeleteOh way too cute Andrea! I love Lucia's school dress and then the pictures of her "reunion" with Magdalena. Lucia's going to be such a great school girl (apple didn't fall far from the tree on that one :).
ReplyDeleteThat last picture is too precious, just love it. Great first day Lucia!
ReplyDeleteGlad Lucia loves preschool! And that last picture is a keeper!
ReplyDeleteBTW-smizing is "smiling with your eyes"-coined by the one and only (especially in her mind) Tyra on America's Next Top Model. Really-I can only admire you for not knowing that!