Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hagg Lake Mudd Run

Saturday, Feb 20, I ran my first race since being pregnant with Magdalena. It was the Hagg Lake Mudd Run 25K. This is 15.5 miles, and I signed up last December in order to motivate me to get back into long runs.

My "training" consisted of a 10 mile run on Jan 23, a 13.25 mile run on Feb 6, and nothing more than 7-9 miles on the other weekends (plus some 4-6 mile runs during the weeks). Given this very light preparation, I was a little nervous about the race. Plus, it was almost completely on trail, which ends up taking longer to run, even though it ultimately is easier on the body. And not only on trail, but on WET and MUDDY trail. I am kind of a big wimp when it comes to getting my feet wet - I hate running in soggy socks and shoes. So I tried to avoid the puddles, but ultimately ended up falling once and getting stuck with some dead blackberry brambles, drawing blood on my muddy hands. And it was all in vain anyway, as I still ended up with soggy socks and wet and mud-caked shoes. I probably could have shaved a good 10 minutes off my pace if I would have just sucked it up and sloshed straight through all the puddles and streams.

Still, I ran a 2:34:16 - a 9:57 pace. And the best news of all for me was that I did not bonk once during the race! Meaning, I never felt tired or out of energy - not one single time. This is truly a first on a long race for me (long being half marathon or greater). I have done pretty well in my couple of halfs, but I do feel ready to be done around the 11 mile mark. Fortunately in a half, I can push through the last 2 miles to finish strong. But in marathons, I have ALWAYS bonked around 20 miles, and once even at 14. These are all due to my horrible nutrition plans, which historically have left me way under-caloried during the runs.

This time, I was determined NOT to let that happen. I had a pack of Clif shot blocks in my pocket, and ate one block 45 minutes into the race. Then at the first aid station after drinking a cup of Gatorade, I took 2 Gu packs, a chocolate and a vanilla. I ate those over the course of the next 5+ miles on the way to the next aid station, where I took two more, and popped a salt tablet with another cup of Gatorade. I ate those Gus on my way in, and consequently NEVER felt tired, energy-depleted, light headed, or anything. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I was so pleased, and believe it or not, I came in 98th in the 25K of 247 racers. I was 25th in the women's category, and 6th woman in my age bracket. This is nothing compared to my stellar racing friends Annie (36th overall, 2nd woman, 1st woman in our age group) and Allie (49th overall, 8th woman, 5th woman in our age group) - but was good enough for this two-time mama!
From Blog All

5 comments:

  1. Nice work Ands! Cute pictures too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Sounds like a great run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. andrea, you were awesome! it was so exciting to see you finish strong. excited to train for your next race :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats! You inspire this one-time mama!

    ReplyDelete