Friday, October 2, 2009

Still Waiting

According to the doctor's office, my due date was yesterday - October 1, 2009. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post - I know that it is really tomorrow, October 3, so I don't feel like I am late... yet!

It is interesting to think about how I feel about this delivery compared to Lucia's. I am actually not that anxious to have the baby - actually, I feel less anxious now than I did a month ago when I was just finishing work. Then I was more exhausted and felt more stretched and uncomfortable. This past four weeks off, I must have been able to relax physically a bit, because although I still feel huge, I haven't gained more weight, and I guess I don't feel as physically stretched as I did. I also am not as tired, and just not worried about when the baby will come.

Possibly some of this has to do with the fact that I am dealing with the potential sale of our rental property, and I want it to be somewhat resolved before the baby comes. I have heard it said, though can't find any supporting articles right now, that women will often not go into labor when they have something they're worried about completing - until it is resolved. Like if you have a big project at work that you want to get done, or are trying to finish the nursery, or something like that. So maybe this condo sale is holding me back! :-) That, or this babe is just not ready yet.

People also ask if I am worried about having two kids at home. Honestly, I'm not as worried about that as just getting through the labor, at this point. For those of you who recall, I had a very long and arduous labor, trying to go unmedicated for 18 hours and finally giving in to the epidural when I was stalled at 8.5 cm (of 10 before you can push, for those who haven't had kids) - for over 1.5 hours. Then Lucia came out with left arm wrapped around her head - so arm/head out at the same time. It was VERY painful and very long. I am nervous that this labor will be the same or worse, and also that I will have to get drugs again. Which, to be fair, I am more open to doing - but I also would like to know if I can do it without. After all, that's what women have done for millenia, right? But somehow it would be easier if you knew you had no choice... and if you did not know how much less painful it can be with the drugs. :-)

Anyway, no - not worried about two kids really. Excited to meet our newest little one, but in no great rush. It will happen soon enough, I'm sure. And the doc won't let me go beyond Oct 15 (2 weeks after their assumed due date), so I know I have less than 2 weeks left regardless!

Here is a photo of Lucia feeling the baby move this morning:

No comments:

Post a Comment