Family blog for Alex, Andrea, Lucia, Magdalena, John Paul, and Victoria Jones
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Happy Birthdays! Among Other Things
Lucia and Magdalena celebrated their birthdays last week. Another whirlwind week for us, though thankfully the girls are still into a shared party.
We had over 50 people RSVP yes (didn't count actual turnout) to the girls' joint birthday celebration party at the Elephant Shelter of Washington Park. I wanted to invite whole families, so chose this venue for its size and the shelter in case of rain (didn't happen, thankfully!). We had a great turnout and the girls had a blast. Thanks to everyone for joining us!
The brief rundown on birthday celebrations: Joint party on 10/7 - Lucia's actual birthday. We made chocolate chip pancakes that morning for breakfast, and pizza party with cupcakes for dinner. Though we had lots of people, I had enough leftover pizza that the girls had it three days that week for preschool lunches (the teachers probably thought I was crazy!!!).
Lucia took cupcakes to her class on Monday the 8th - just the mini ones, which is better for the kids (1/3 size of a regular cupcake). Magdalena took mini cupcakes on her actual birthday, 10/11. That day we had pancakes for breakfast (no chocolate chips as I discovered that the girls like to just pick out the chocolate and leave the rest of the pancake - defeats the purpose!), and I made home-made mac n cheese for dinner, which is another whole family favorite. (And broccoli, the only vegetable Magdalena will eat unless puree'd in soup!) Lucia delights in telling us that because she is five, she no longer does some things (like have too many stuffed animals in her bed), and Magdalena is quick to point out that she is "Free" whenever anyone asks how old she is (though usually she tells them that her birthday was "October E-Leven" first).
Lucia is big into dinosaurs again, largely thanks to the Magic Treehouse book she got from Jude and Ada for her birthday (Dinosaurs Before Dark). First chapter book - thanks guys! We finished it in two days, and have read it twice now - she just loves it! She now entraps Alex to find dinosaur videos online and read dinosaur articles, and has sucked Magdalena into the obsession as well.
Magdalena has really grown up lately - finally in the past several weeks becoming very interested in playing WITH other kids. Before, she just liked to play "near" them, but now she has her best friend at school (Madeline; conveniently also our neighbor!), and loves playing with her slightly younger friend Ada too. She also really did great today with Lucia and her friend that came over for a play-date; able to hold her own with the big girls.
On to John Paul - who has a small vocabulary now! In addition to "All Done" (Ahh-DONE!) starting around 9/25 according to my white board "journaling", he also LOVES LOVES LOVES the word "car." (CAH! CAH! CAH!). He calls cars and trucks "CAH!" and the first thing he wants to do in the morning when I get him up (if it's light out) is look out his window at the cars parked across the street and proclaim his word. It is super cute. He also has started to "stand" on his own - if I let go of his hands or even if he lets go of whatever he is holding on to, he will stay upright for about 2 seconds on his own two feet before plopping to his bottom. He also loves to watch his entertaining sisters, and if he is ever bored, just hand him a couple pots and pans and a wooden spoon - he will go to town! He loves to have his back scratched, and after I finish nursing him in the morning or evening, he will sit up, flip to his tummy, and flop back down waiting to have his back scratched. Then he lays there for several minutes while I scratch him, picks himself up, and faceplants again into my chest or onto the bed for some more scratching. Such a little love!
Here are many pictures and a few videos of the birthdays and other things.
Happy Birthday song:
JP Playing the Pots and Pans:
Lucia kitty and Magdalena puppy got their faces painted at a friend's birthday party
I think it is hilarious that JP loves to play with the girls toy mop and broom
Totally random word choice on my label maker: WANT INPuT (anyone remember the movie Short Circuit?)
Matching dresses from Gymboree - I love these girls! And I love how they love each other!!
I joked to Alex that Magdalena is Tinker Bell and Captain Hook too!
Eating banana and cheerios for breakfast
The CUTEST funny face! He often makes this one when he is upset, but it is just so darn cute, we all crack up!
Yes, the word CAR is in here!
To compliment the video
Magdalena and Ada doing face paint at the Children's Museum
And now on to the birthday photos:
It was like Christmas!
Lucia really wanted a unicorn pillow pet. Thanks Ama & Apa!
Magdalena got the beginner scooter, which she has pretty much mastered. On to the next one (2 wheels only like Lucia's), and this one will go to JP!
"LU" chocolate chip pancakes
the M pancake broke a bit
JP eating grapes at the party
Just a peek at the fun!
Gotta love that pizza face!
I had to rescue a few cupcakes to get this picture from kids who snared them early! (notice how I ran out of green frosting and had to use MnMs for the last 4 letters of Magdalena's name!)
Lucia wanted "Sunshine" cakes, but really meant smiley face cakes. Both girls told me which color MnMs to use for each feature. :-)
Happy Belated Birthday Girls. You guys sure know how to celebrate, well done. It's so cute to see how Magdalena and Lucia love each other so much. Right now, Lily and Elise definitely interact more and I see little glimpses of what could be when they get older. Hope all else is well too.
My kids have been obsessed with dinosaur train (PBS but we watch on netflix) lately. It's one of the least obnoxious children's shows that I've seen lately.
Happy Belated Birthday Girls. You guys sure know how to celebrate, well done. It's so cute to see how Magdalena and Lucia love each other so much. Right now, Lily and Elise definitely interact more and I see little glimpses of what could be when they get older. Hope all else is well too.
ReplyDeleteMy kids have been obsessed with dinosaur train (PBS but we watch on netflix) lately. It's one of the least obnoxious children's shows that I've seen lately.
ReplyDelete