Magdalena has a 99% chance of requiring a blood transfusion during her surgery. We found out yesterday that she is type O+. This is great!! I am O+ and we're pretty sure Alex is too, so we pay a nominal fee and can direct donate to her via the Red Cross. Except that it's not great.
Turns out that the Liaoning province in China where we've been living since March 24 is considered a high risk malaria zone from May through December. Meaning that if you've even set foot in that area during that time (which we obviously have), you can't donate blood for a year and one day from after you leave.
Now, I called the Red Cross and they said there is a decent amount of type O+ blood in the bank (though O- is low), and the surgeons won't even consider doing the surgery if there's not enough blood on reserve for her. BUT, it still would be nice if we knew exactly where the blood came from. She needs two units (aka two donors of 1 pint each) to be safe.
So maybe some of you who are O+ (or O-) are thinking that you could help us... I'd be eternally grateful! But I do want you to know all the "catches." Here goes:
- Has to be done by June 23
- Must be coordinated through Red Cross - I can handle this
- Costs $45 - we will pay
- Probably will have to be done in SALEM as the Portland donation time slots through June 23 are booked! (unless there is a cancellation) - I would pay for gas
- You must be typed with the Red Cross - meaning, if you haven't donated before, you need to go to the Red Cross site near Legacy Emmanuel - at least 24 hours BEFORE you donate for Magdalena, that way they have you on file. This must be done even if you have a positive ID from elsewhere. There is a $35 fee - we would pay
- Cannot be pregnant or nursing unless you feel (like me) that you have NO RISK of it diminishing your supply to lose a pint of blood - and you MUST stay extra hydrated!
That's it. But it's relatively significant, I know. And if you have ever had problems giving blood, you are probably out too. As I said, I did call and they said there should be plenty of O+ blood on hand. But I now think I will start donating again once we get back. I stopped at the end of 2006 due to pregnancy and nursing, and the one time I tried to go in my 2 months of not being in either of those states, they kept me waiting for over 1 hour and STILL hadn't called me back to start the questionnaire! I had to leave or I would have been late to pick up Lucia from daycare, and I haven't even tried to go back since. But now that it is MY little girl that needs the blood... I'd do anything necessary to get it for her.
The last message here then is - please donate if you can. Even if you are not O+ and donating for Magdalena right now - if people out there didn't just donate when they could, there wouldn't be blood for her surgery, and there are lots of kids with this and other surgeries that need the blood, as well as many other good causes for it. I just wanted to post my experience so you know one real-life situation.
Andrea, I assume there is way to donate from Arizona? I'm O+ and I'd be happy to give some blood for Magdalena.
ReplyDeleteoops. just reread my comment... should have been, no way to donate from arizona...
ReplyDeleteWe aren't 0 type blood but so wish I could help. I'm confident you'll get a couple donors quick. If there's anything else I can do to help (seems like a lot of logistics to track), let me know.
ReplyDeletehey-I'm O-and I think I'm +, I'll figure out the timing as I'd be more than happy to help out!
ReplyDeleteAndrea-give me a call on my cell 503-312-3154. This timing is tight (as i went and reread the conditions) and I do have to work mon and tues-but probably can get off early enough to get to a donation time (i hope). Portland would certainly be easier of course. I don't suppose they're open on Sundays? i'll be in Salem tomorrow . .
ReplyDeleteI'm 0+ and can give blood for Magdelana. But let me know if you want my blood. I stopped giving back in 2001 after spending three months in England during the mad cow scare as I was told I could no longer give blood (never ate cow there). But I just read the restrictions and it seems that I am totally fine under the current guidelines. I can go any time on Wednesday. - Cameron 503-313-9700
ReplyDelete