Usually we start at the boardwalk entrance where there is a swarm of white pigeons and a vendor who sells popcorn kernels to feed the pigeons, then offers to take your picture and print them up for you while you wait (I assume, as I have not actually discussed her services with her). She also sells lots of gaudy trinkets like shell necklaces and the like. We have gone there several times now, and this vendor knows us. She seven waves to me when I run by sans kids.
The other day, however, I brought some smashed up Saltines for Lucia to feed the pigeons. As soon as she got out of the stroller and dumped them on the ground, the lady and a janitor-type guy started reprimanding us loudly, and the man came over with a little broom and swept up the crumbs! I managed to salvage some bigger pieces so that we could try feeding some non-tourist-trap birds later. There was also two men with a young girl who actually bought some popcorn kernels from the lady, and they were taking pictures too. I noticed that one of the men was smoking and blowing the smoke all over his (or the other guy's) kid, so we moved elsewhere soon.
Next we walked over to the Girl with the Geese. In China - or at least Dalian and surrounding areas - there are many life-sized large plastic animals all over the place. They're in parks, in front of buildings, and several are at our beach. Lucia likes the green girl with the geese a lot. She also likes the larger-than-life cows, though she is somewhat scared of the bull at right. There is another place that has two bulls standing off at each other (not pictured today) - and they are... anatomically correct. One day Lucia stood behind one bull and asked me "What's that? Is it his second bottom? That's where the pee-pee comes from!" I guess she was technically correct!
Other plastic animals gracing our surroundings are fake dinosaurs in the grove of trees on the way to the American International School, giraffes and tigers in parks downtown, elephants and lions gracing the outsides of many buildings - banks, housing complexes, Administration buildings, etc. It is a kids' wonderland, though I find it a little corny. :-)
| From Blog All |
And a video of the location - panoramic view!
Here is the girl with the geese (love those geese!):
| From Blog All |
And the large COWS and bull:
| From Blog All |
Not to be outdone by all the Chinese people taking our photo (sometimes asking, sometimes not) - I took a picture of one of the many couples out getting wedding photos on the seashore the other gorgeous day here. I guess I should take a lesson from them, they smiled and waved at us!
| From Blog All |
No comments:
Post a Comment