Sunday, December 12, 2010

Holiday Bazaar - Fundraiser for the Orphanage

On November 27, the orphanage volunteer group that I am part of held a wonderful Holiday Bazaar! We brought in vendors to sell holiday arts, crafts, jewelry, toys, donated books, poinsettias, wine, you name it! One stop shopping for Christmas, and most of the vendors were Chinese. We had free carnival games for the kids, food, photos with Santa, entertainment, and a whole lot of fun.

All in all, we raised a significant amount of money for the orphanage! This will help buy the kids lots of things they really need, such as new cloth for diapers, wipes, new crib boards, blankets, clothes, hand sanitizer, etc. Hopefully the money will also be used to help train orphanage personnel as well as hire new workers trained with the Half the Sky philosophy for orphans. This will really help the kids and their emotional development, especially after the many expat volunteers leave China to return home over the next few years.

Though I wanted to help much more, our long trip to the US meant that I could only really be there for the event itself. I was there all day, spending the first few hours with Alex and the girls, then helping sell items at the "Dongxi" (stuff) table where we had beautiful jewelry and crafts from some expat women who live in Beijing. I wish that I had more pictures of the event itself, but I was so busy the whole time! I spent way too much RMB, and am happy to report that I was able to buy a lot of things to decorate the house. I'll post later about our Christmas decorations here in China!



Lucia and Magdalena playing with the blocks in one of the kids game rooms:
From Blog All Three
Our family in front of the decorated tree!
From Blog All Three
The Santa Photo - Lucia cried and freaked out to sit on Santa's lap, so she only stood in front of him biting her quivering lower lip. Magdalena has no fear, thankfully!
From Blog All Three

No comments:

Post a Comment