Tuesday, March 16, 2010

One Week and Counting

We are moving to China in ONE week. It is crazy. The house is getting packed up starting tomorrow, and we're getting ready for our world to change dramatically.

I don't have long to write - too many small logistics to worry about - but did want to state for the record why we elected to make this huge move. After having lived in Japan my senior year of undergrad school, I feel strongly about the "walk a mile" principle - learning to see things through the eyes of others. There is no better way to do that than up and moving yourself to a country and culture that is different from your own. And not only does it help you learn about others, but them to learn about you - and you to learn about yourself. All these things are important to me.

Also, I feel that mis-communication, even just in cultural traditions and understanding, let alone language, is one of the greatest sources of conflict in our world today, and historically. After all, if everyone were the same and believed the same thing, why would we fight with each other? Of course, I don't believe that it is good or right for everyone to be the same and believe the same thing, quite the contrary. Rich diversity and differences lead to the most interesting and worthwhile aspects of life! However, with true understanding we can appreciate others and accept them - learn to love and respect others as we do our own closest family and friends. It takes a lot of gumption to put one's self in the role of being a minority - whether that be here in the US or by plunking your Caucasian family down in the middle of Asia for a while - but doing so tells the world that you are open to learning and appreciating - to respecting and living side by side with everyone God put on this world. We are trying to learn in order to ease the future conflicts of communication - one family member at a time.

Finally, it is just an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Since Alex is going through work, we are very well taken care of. We have a safety net, so even if things are challenging, we will be safe and well during our stay. This becomes very important when small children are involved - things I would never have wanted on my own (e.g.a huge townhouse near the ocean rather than living in the city)- are very important when I consider the relative safety and family home environment we want for our girls. But even so, we'll get to learn, travel, experience new things, meet new people - and are looking forward to the adventure to come.

Now we just have to finish packing and get out of the country without getting sick again and without too much stress - then all will be well!

3 comments:

  1. Andrea - what a great way to describe the joys of traveling. It is an amazing opportunity and I'm sure the girls will love their time in China.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a very safe trip next week and *hopefully* I'll get to see you stateside this summer. I'm planning an OR trip in June or July, once I feel up to traveling solo with a newborn and the girls, so maybe our schedules will align?! Take care and have a blast in China!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip to China! I hope the flights go very smoothly! I can't wait to see pics and read about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete