Monday, January 18, 2016

Big Girl Bed and other fun

After weeks of being able to climb out of her crib, we have finally relinquished and transitioned Victoria's crib into its "big-girl-bed" functionality.

Victoria first started climbing out of bed in San Fran when she easily hurdled over the Pack and Play sides.  We had to turn on all the lights and give her lots of books until she finally passed out in the bed - just to keep her in there!

When we got home, after a few days, she started getting out of her crib.  So Alex dropped the mattress to the floor, which worked for all of ... a few hours.  Next, we realized that with the pajamas on backwards, Victoria couldn't lift her leg high enough to get it up over the crib, so she was relegated to wearing PJs even for mid-afternoon naps!

Within a week of that, however, she figured out how to stand in the corner of the crib and hoist her body up halfway before lifting her leg such that she could still vault out of the crib.  We'd hear a crash followed by a cry, then the door opening and out would come Victoria, stumbling through her tears to "No Go Bed!"

This meant that Victoria's napping days were over; literally last Wednesday-ish.  So 23 months and 13 days or so... but she still stayed in the crib at night if I cajoled her into it by either lying with her for a while, or lying next to the crib.  However, last Saturday night, she got out at 9 pm, 2 am, and 6 am again.  Needless to say, that was her last night in the crib.

Next day, we removed the crib face and replaced with the small 1/4 railings.

Little stinker!  Needless to say, no nap.  And night time last night was terrible!  She absolutely refused to stay in bed, no matter how long I laid down next to her or tried to sing.  Every time I got up, she would cry and cry, and start following me out.  I'd admonish her to "Stay in bed, Victoria!", but to no avail.  Finally around 9 pm I had to take JP out and put him in the study (we got a new day bed trundle in there in preparation for our Au Pair who will take the apartment bedroom next month). Then I just put V back in bed, stood there and admonished her as she cried (not a fun parenting position to be in), left the room, stood outside the door as she got out of bed and tried to exit down the hall; put her back in the bed and repeated the whole process... back and forth until about 10:20 pm.  Finally she quieted down and I was able to leave my sentry post outside her door.

An hour or so later on my way back to bed, I went to peek in on her.  The door only opened about a foot when it bumped into the form of Victoria, sleeping on her stomach with her blanket bundled up in her arms like a pillow right in front of the door.  I picked her up and laid her in bed (thankful that she didn't wake!).  Since she hadn't gotten to sleep until so late, I just assumed she would sleep in this morning (MLK, no school).  Alas, she was up with everyone else by 7:30 and didn't go to bed again until after 9.

Tonight wasn't quite as bad. I  brought her a comforter and tucked a good portion of it under the mattress (twin comforter, but still too big for the crib converter).  She got out a few times, but JP was able to stay in, and I sang to the two of them for about 30 minutes until 8:30.  After that, she only got out once and came all the way downstairs where I was prepping their lunches.  I told her "Bed!" and she turned around and walked back upstairs with me following.  She crawled back into bed and didn't even insist (for the first time) that I "go lie down" too.  Relief!

Hopefully she'll get used to sleeping in bed at night without getting up, but my prediction is that her napping days are pretty much over.  Sigh.

All I have to say is that it is a very good thing kids are so cute, or there would be a lot fewer of them around!!! Ha!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh toddler beds... we had to bribe the kids. Elizabeth got a Hershey Kiss in the morning if she stayed in her big girl bed - she had a pass if she needed to go potty. After a bag or two, she got in the habit of staying in bed. I don't remember what we did to keep Alex in his bed. Victoria is adorable. (they all are).

    ReplyDelete