Friday, October 22, 2010

We Match!

On Thursday Lucia and I got matching hair cuts! Instead of spending lots of money on haircuts in the US, I asked our ayi for a recommendation and we went to a salon in Kaifaqu. It cost 50 RMB for both of us, $4.50 (30 RMB) for my haricut, and $3.00 (20 RMB) for Lucia's. Our driver told me that Lucia's haircut was "gui" - expensive, and could be done for 5 RMB downtown. I told him that after we spent 15 RMB on the toll road, the price of the haircut and toll fee would be the same. :-)

The hair stylist told me that my American hair was silkier than Chinese hair (at least, I think that's the word he used). And he kept snipping little bits at the end, mostly, I thought, to keep touching it! Lucia did not want to have her hair cut at first (definitely did not want to have it washed!) and sat on my lap until the bribe of a second sucker (they slipped thank the first one by me or I would have bribed her with the first sucker) - she sat in her own chair and got her hair cut. It probably disturbed her a bit that all the workers kept coming over with their digital cameras and cell phones to take her picture. All the while, one of the workers seemed to exhaust his English vocabulary by trying to get Lucia to put her shoes back on (she took them off to sit on my lap) and saying "Come on, let's go!" in order to convince her to get into her chair. Needless to say, she was having none of that. I'm glad at least one of our daughters won't go to a stranger (Magdalena has not met a Chinese person she doesn't like) - though Lucia seems to take it to an extreme!

Here is the picture of our matching haircuts! I unfortunately forgot my camera to record the madness at the salon, but I'll remember next time! All in all, we had a great time, and I wish I would have done it sooner!




From Blog All Two

2 comments:

  1. I love the hair cuts! Lucia looks adorable! Little girls can be so funny about hair. Elizabeth had to be bribed to get her hair cut too.

    ReplyDelete