Wednesday, October 6, 2010

National Holiday Week and We Stayed Home

October 1 through October 7 was the Chinese National Autumn Holiday Week. The country gives the whole week off, and Alex was off Friday through Tuesday also. We heard that TONS of people travel within China during this week, so we elected to stay home. I was worried that even trying to get out and about in Dalian would be challenging, but we were pleasantly surprised. Most places we wanted to go were still open and not too crowded (Discoveryland had a long line to get in, but once inside it wasn't bad). The weather was gorgeous for the most part, and the best part was that our family got to spend five whole days together doing some of the things we had not yet had time to do around the area in which we live.

Here is a breakdown of what I feel has been our very best week in China to date:

Friday, Oct 1
Early morning - I went for a run with my girl friend
Mid-morning - I went to the orphanage to play with the kids while Alex stayed home with the girls
Afternoon - Dinosaur Park and Yosemite with our neighbor's daughter Niah
Evening - Mass at our Catholic neighbor's house with our Korean priest Fr Kim - he said Mass on the outdoor patio balcony at sunset, and we followed it with a lovely chicken and pasta dinner, complete with cookies and brownies for dessert!



Girls and T-Rex:
From Blog All Two
Girls and Steggy's Tail:
From Blog All Two
Magdalena on Steggy:
From Blog All Two
Is Brontosaurus even used anymore?
From Blog All Two
Dino Egg:
From Blog All Two
Lucia and Niah swatting spiderwebs:
From Blog All Two
Bridge over the lake at the Dinosaur Park:
From Blog All Two
Magdalena shining in the sun:
From Blog All Two
Lucia and Niah blowing the dandelion fluff (this time with a little help from Mama):
From Blog All Two
Playing at the park at Yosemite:
From Blog All Two


Saturday, Oct 2
Morning/midday - Alex went for a bike ride in the morning, then we took a driving trip to Da Hei Shen (Big Black Mountain) - it was overcast and cool, plus the girls are not hikers, so we just drove to a temple area, then back down the other side.
Evening - birthday celebration at the neighbors for their two sons



The amazing fish at the temple on Da Hei Shen:
From Blog All Two
A little self portrait:
From Blog All Two
Dada and Lucia:
From Blog All Two
In front of the Cave Tunnel:
From Blog All Two
Lucia and Alex went in:
From Blog All Two
This tree was fake, but beautiful!:
From Blog All Two


Sunday, October 3
Morning - to Discoveryland as a FAMILY!! All four of us went to D-land, and I feel like Alex now really knows what fun we have been having there this past six months. :-) Lucia was thrilled to show Dada all the rides she loves too.
Afternoon - I got to go to Kaifaqu for a pedicure while Alex stayed home and cooked a lovely meal for our family.



Self portrait at Discoveryland:
From Blog All Two
Dada and Magdalena on the Carousel:
From Blog All Two
It was quite cold, lucia was wearing a big jacket... and the xiao penyou that came for a photo op:
From Blog All Two
Magdalena conked out in the stroller:
From Blog All Two
Lucia and Alex riding the balloons together:
From Blog All Two
Our family at the Giant Pumpkin:
From Blog All Two


Monday, October 4
Morning - The girls went to Play Group at a friend's house in Kaifaqu while Alex ran some errands. We all went to lunch at a Chinese/Korean/American food deli.
Afternoon - our ayi was here, so Alex and I went for a hike together over the hills behind the American school overlooking the beach, then ran home on the boardwalk.

Tuesday, October 5
Morning - Alex made homemade apple cinnamon doughnuts for breakfast then we went to Kaifaqu and the Dinosaur Road / beach - we had a great walk outside on this beautiful day, and the girls got to play in the bouncy castle on the beach
Afternoon - Alex watched our ayi cook and I walked to Jinshitan for fruit and gifts for the girls upcoming birthdays. Alex made pizza for dinner!



Mmmmmmm.... doughnuts:
From Blog All Two
Dinosaur Fossil Road:
From Blog All Two
Dada and Lena at the road:
From Blog All Two
The Giant Eggshell:
From Blog All Two
Ahhhh... Chinglish:
From Blog All Two
This one rocks my world:
From Blog All Two
Not only animals, Ships too!
From Blog All Two
Loving the Bouncy Castle:
From Blog All Two
Crazy bouncers:
From Blog All Two
Real love and kisses for bouncy castle animals:
From Blog All Two
Magdalena also found a xiao penyou:
From Blog All Two
Mmmmmm.... Pizza!
From Blog All Two
Lucia likes pizza:
From Blog All Two
And so does Magdalena! Her first pizza!
From Blog All Two


Wednesday, October 6
Alex had to go to work, but the girls and I went to Shama for play group, then to the butcher's. Our ayi came again, and I went to the orphanage in the afternoon before picking Alex up from work.



The orphanage kids are SO cute, and they seemed to remember me, smiling when I held them, and happily accepting the slices of orange that I brought for them. The two times I went over this past week there has been a middle-aged Chinese woman there. She told me that she has a 26-year old daughter herself, and goes there every day! I was very happy to know that there is at least one local Chinese person who cares about these kids enough to visit them there. I can't even say enough how fulfilling it is to hold these kids, some of which are over three years old, this Chinese lady has been telling me. Again - they weigh less than Magdalena, and most can't walk on their own yet (though at least three have started to do so since my first visit!). None of them speak intelligibly, though many of them seem to call myself and the other western women "Mama" - they were all standing in their cribs waving good-bye and saying "Mama, Mama" as I left the other day... I just want to take them all home with me... I am even having dreams about them - just to see them smile melts my heart.

Now we are gearing up for our big week of Birthdays! Lucia's third birthday is tomorrow, October 7! And Magdalena turns ONE on Monday, October 11.

3 comments:

  1. Busy, busy! Looks like it was tons of fun. (Happy birthday, Lucia!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab week-glad you guys got a lot of family time. Made the most of your staycation. Hey-I see you'll be in town in a few weeks-we're doing the Durufle on Nov 7th if you get a chance to come to Mass . .

    ReplyDelete